Polymyositis is a type of chronic[1] inflammatory myopathy, related to dermatomyositis and inclusion body myositis. Polymyositis means ‘many muscle inflammation‘.

My Journey with Myositis, Updated!

ILD, Interstitial Lung Disease
PM, Polymyositis

TMA, The Myositis Association

Hopefully I won’t bore anyone with my update on my “Journey with Myositis”
As some have already read my story on TMA through I would just like to let everyone know how blessed I’ve been these past 5 years.
I was diagnosed with PM and ILD in June 2004 and at first things went along fine, I was showing some improvement in strength but 2 months after this being dx’d I was put on Methotrexate, just after 2 doses of 7.5 I went into resp.failure due to a side affect of the Methotrexate combined with having ILD, this put me into pneumonia and I actually went to the other side and back and was on a ventilator for 5 weeks in 2 hospitals a total of 8, it took almost another year to turn this around, I was on oxygen 24/7 lung capacity at 39% and on a feeding tube and walker, the whole nine yards!  Finally in August 2005 I changed dr’s and found a great neurologist who through careful treatments I finally started to get past this and started climbing that huge mountain.
It seemed life would never be the same as it was before PM & ILD but with determination and prayers and the support of my husband I have gone further then the doctors ever believed I would.
I have been off oxygen since 2006, and as of June 2008 came off Prednisone and the Imuran as of May, 2009 my cpk at the start was 4400 and this June it is now at 116 with no medications at all. The lung capacity as of Feb.09 is now at 98.5% and I am stronger then ever, I did suffer permanent muscle damage due to the time it took to be diagnosed and I work at trying to rebuild what muscles are left, this is still a battle that I hope to say is improving at some point.  I go for lab work in August and see the neurologist on  August 14th. I am praying for another miracle, guess I should just be thankful of where I am but miracles have happened for me many times over.  If the lab work is staying down and maybe even lower then I am considered in remission and with the help of any drugs.
So to the newcomers I just want to say there is a light at the end of the tunnel and if “God brings you to it, He will bring you thru it”, just have Faith and determination and you will get there too.
As of Aug. 21st 2009 .. my cpk rose to 437 and my neurologist put me on cellcept 2000mg. but I was not handling this medication very well and on Sept. 25th. he decided to put me back on Imuran, I had been off this since May,09 at this time he noticed redness on my knuckles and the finger tips were splitting.  He then insisted I had DM rather then PM, I then made an appt. with my Dermatologist who also thought it might be DM so he biopsied the knuckle on the left index finger, that report came back on  Sept. 30th. conclusive as PM with overlapping DM. Still treatment is the same and for now I am at 150mg. of Imuran and I return to the Neurologist on Oct. 16th. praying that the cpk is on the way down once again.  But still I have decided this is just a little detour in my “Journey” and am very thankful that I am recovered from where I was in 2004 to where I am today.
Thanks, Fay

Submitted by: Fay 12-10-09

Things myositis patients would like to tell an uniformed  doctor about myositis:
My name is Phil Bousley.  I was diagnosed with polymyositis in 2005.  I have endured the rollercoaster ride with many ups and downs.  Currently I am reducing my medication and feel remission is possible.  Although this may be a dream.  Many myositis patients are frustrated with physicians who are either uninformed, not caring, or simply don’t believe the patient.  I wrote a list of things I think the uninformed doctor should know.  This list was posted on a myositis support group site.  Many people added other items to the list.  I don’t know if you would be interested in putting this on your web site.  Feel free to post if you so desire.
  • There is pain with myositis.
  • All patients are different and can have different symptoms with the same disease.
  • Typical physical weakness results in a) difficulty swallowing, b) trouble getting up from chairs, c) falling, d) climbing stairs, and e) getting out of bed.
  • Dermatomyositis patients have skin involvement and sensitivity to the sun.
  • Patients perspire when others around them do not.
  • Many myositis patients suffer from extreme fatigue. This occurs even without any exertion.
  •  There are many different degrees of illness with myositis from mild to extremely severe.
  • Some patients experience changes in their voices.
  • Myositis patients might have a negative muscle biopsy, even when two are taken at the same time in different sites.
  • The CK level is not always positive in myositis patients.
  • Never accuse a patient of being a hypochondriac just because you can’t find a diagnosis.
  • Older patients can have myositis and all aches, pains, and bouts of clumsiness are not caused by getting old.
  • The aldolase might be a better indicator of inflammation than the CK level.
  • Myositis patients with elevated CK levels probably will have elevated CKMB levels also. This does not always mean cardiac involvement. Order   additional testing such as a troponin to be sure.
  • Myositis patients frequently have other autoimmune diseases. Their varying symptoms are real.
  • Patient may have strength; but no endurance, e.g. may be able to lift heavy objects but can only hold it for a few seconds.
  • Mysositis is a systemic disease, which, in addition to its effects on muscle and skin, often affects other areas of the body such as the gastrointestinal, pulmonary, and cardiac systems.
  • Patients react differently to medicines used in treating myositis.  The same medicine might put one patient into remission and send another patient to intensive care.
  • Tapering of prednisone needs to be keyed to the individual patient.
  • Myositis patients look normal; but still can be very ill.
  • Pain and flares are not always directly correlated with the CK level.
  • Myositis is a chronic disease. You might get the patient into remission; but you are not going to cure them. While not curable, myositis is very treatable.
  • Treatment should be based on how the patient feels, not solely on blood test results.
  •  It sometimes takes a long time to get the right combination and dosage of medicine to be effective.
  • Myositis sufferers frequently cannot return to work and are truly disabled.
  • Myositis affects the entire family unit. Prepare the patient for this.
  • Include the spouse when possible in treatment plans, etc.
  • Myositis patients need a handicap parking sticker.
  • Myositis is a lonely disease and patients need a support group. These are usually on the internet because the disease is rare and there may not be other myositis patients in the same area.
  • Myositis patients are frequently frustrated and perhaps clinically depressed.
  • Myositis patients are extremely friendly, helpful, understanding, and loving to others who share their diseases.
  • Family and friends will not understand why you are unable to participate in family event due to pain and weakness.
  • Life with myositis will necessitate changes is lifestyle. Myositis patients may never mountains climb again.
  • Memory loss.  There is a failure to remember words or events.
  • Lack of concentration.  Sometimes difficulty reading and keeping a train of thought
  • Treat the patient, not the disease.
  • Life threatening complications can kill. Annoying symptoms can hurt. Myositis patients suffer from both. Doctors should treat all.
  • Be open to all options of treatment. It does matter that you care and search for an answer.
  • The physician should be up to date on all medicines being prescribed.
    Listen to patients when they feel they are having adverse reactions to medications.
  • Give the patient some indication that you give a DAMN.

Submitted by: Phil Bousley 14-10-09

Inspiration to others
I am a 31-year old woman who lives in a great town, has a fun job, the coolest friends imaginable, and has a generally smashing time in life. Until the beginning of 2009, I enjoyed running, ultra running, road racing, cycling, and any other sport I could get my legs under. Suddenly, everything came to a screeching halt. I was diagnosed with a serious, crippling, and life-changing disease called Polymyositis through which I am attempting to navigate. Polymyositis isn’t the worst disease that can happen to you, but it can present some significant challenges and change your life in drastic ways. The onset is particularly dramatic, scary, and difficult to diagnose due to its rarity and extreme physical effects. This page serves to focus on that part of my life, both as an outlet for my own thoughts, as well as a resource for anyone else out there who is looking for others’ experiences to follow.

March 9, 2009

I am done with doctor visits for a few weeks. The initial diagnostic and treatment implementation phase of this seems to be underway. As of now, my CPK enzyme levels have dropped from 10,000 to 5,000. The normal level is 100. There is still alot of work to do on the inside of my body to stop the immune system attack and bring the inflammation under control. I continue to be on a high dose of Prednisone, and Methotrexate was added for immune system suppression. I will probably be on a combination of these drugs for the next few months or more as we try to get things under control. I can expect to remain without any noticeable physical improvements for another month or so. Part of the unfairness of autoimmune disease is that it is so unpredictable… there is no normal or expected outcome. There is no way of knowing when, how, or to what extent recovery will happen, both in the short and long-term.I still feel lost in my own life. I have no control over my own body. I have no control at work. I have no control over small things that I drop onto the floor and must leave for gone until someone visits me and can pick them up. I have no control when my feet get cold and I want a pair of socks. I have no control when I get tangled up in the sheets in my bed and can’t get out. I have no control when I want a drink with a screw-on lid and can’t open it.I am still fighting this disease in the short-term. I can deal with being down temporarily. Everybody gets injured or sick from time to time. I am ready for a physical fight to get the attack stopped and gain some basic strength and function back. I am prepared for this to take a few months, and I am up for the challenge. This is good optimism. The bad thoughts creep in when I worry about the long-term ramifications of this disease. I have googled too much for my own good, and have seen horror stories in blogs. Where are the people who beat it and are living their polymyositis-free lives? Where are the runners who made a comeback and have a newfound appreciation for their strength and ability?
Posted by KH at 3:56 PM 0 comments

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

March 4, 2009

Trying to put this fire out is proving harder than I thought. I have been on 80mg/day of Prednisone for 1 week, and 40mg/day for 2 weeks prior to this one. I am as weak as ever above the waist… I cannot raise my arms above shoulder level and cannot lift my neck off of the pillow. My hands are useless, I can perform basic push/pull functions of very little force, but with no dexterity. I can still sit/stand on my own, which remains the bastion of my independence and functionality.
I am perceiving feeling the start of some Prednisone side effects. My joints feel like those of a 100-year old woman. My hips and knees feel taxed while walking, the bones in my shoulderblades feel like they grind against everything they touch, like the mattress or backs of chairs. My eyes feel puffy and slightly blurry. I feel uncomfortable in my own skin, like a snake that needs to molt.
Every day that goes by is one more that I hadn’t planned on feeling this way. Every morning begins with an internal curseword when I realize that it’s still here. In general, I still maintain what I think is a decent level of optimism and foresight, but I also cycle through fear, disappointment, and just plain weariness on a regular basis. The physical weariness definitly takes its toll. I sometimes compare this to running a marathon with no sense of distance or time. Are we at mile 2 or 23? If I could know the distance and terrain ahead, I could plan my race, both physically and mentally. The weary part is putting one foot in front of the other with no idea where I’m going, how long it’s going to take to get there, or even if there is a definitive finish at all.

Today is obviously a little bit of a downswing in mood. I’ll bounce. Really.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Latest Checkup

I mentioned yelling at God on the trail a few weeks back and being frustrated at hearing silence in return. Well, He yelled back in a big way this week. The rheumatologist looked me and stated verbatim, “Your liver tests are almost normal. Your CK readings are normal. This is a miracle. There is a higher power at work here.” I am corrected and humbled. I am so blessed and fortunate to be doing so well.

I am running a few miles at a time, I’d like to get some power back into the equation and start running some “strong” miles. I am still lifting weights, and am at about 60%-80% of what I was lifting prior to disease. I still have more noticeable deficiencies in certain muscle groups, especially those closer to the core of my body. It remains difficult and awkward for me to get up off of the floor. I still have quite a bit of stiffness and some arthritis in certain joints. However, I am certainly bouncier and more perky. Prednisone continues to bother me and make me unlike myself at times, both physically and emotionally. But good reports mean that I can continue to taper. I started 30 mgs daily and will drop to 20 in a few weeks. I continue to feel an increased sense of normalcy in everyday life.

I still wonder and worry about what kind of cycle this “up” phase is part of. It’s easy to get cocky and start taking this feeling for granted. I also acknowledge that I am still on heavy Prednisone, and am cycling through emotional highs and lows. My last checkup was a major high, and I will get frustrated and sad again when it wears off, focusing more on the deficiencies again rather than the gains. What an experience, all of it.

Thursday, October 1, 2009


Ok, so adult league kickball is hilarious. The best part: I kicked, ran, threw, and in general, acted like a 12 year-old.The downside: I am not 12. I was more sore than I have been in a long, long time. From kickball. Initially, I had a little freak-out. A downside of being constantly active is that I never know whether I’m sore from the activity or whether something weird is happening with the disease. A few days later, I’m feeling better. Still sore, but it’s working itself out. Crisis averted. A little embarrassed, but relieved.

Katie has so much more to say about her journey which is very inspirational. To see more visit her blog

Submitted by: Katie Helms 18-10-09

My Myositis Story
Phil Bousley

I had been in pretty good health until around 60 years of age.  In 2000 I began having trouble swallowing.  It was intermittent and very frustrating.  My family practice doctor sent me to have a barium swallowing test.  The radiologist asked me why I was having the test done.  Seemed like a stupid question; but I told him, “I’m having difficulty swallowing.”  He didn’t seem too interested in me or the test.  After the test he said, “I can’t find anything wrong with your swallowing.  I think it is all in your head.”  This was not a very professional thing to say to a patient.
Then my doctor sent me to a gastroenterologist to have a tube put down my throat to see if he could find any abnormalities.  He was nicer but said he could find nothing wrong.  So I continued to have problems with swallowing.  I learned that if I held my chin down when swallowing, it was better.
I also noticed that I was having pain in my thighs and it was difficult to climb stairs and get up from the floor without holding on to something.  I thought it was part of getting old.
In 2003 I developed severe headaches with pain so bad it caused projectile vomiting.  Even the pain medicine came back up.  After 3 days of this, I woke up one morning with double vision and a droopy eye.  My father died of a stroke and I assumed this was also the result of a stroke.  The emergency room doctor ordered a cat scan of the head.  He returned and said, “Phil, I don’t know any way to say this but you have a huge macroadenoma of the pituitary.  I’ve called your family doctor and he is on his way in.  My doctor came in and looked at me, turned and walked over to my wife, gave her a hug, and said, “I’m so sorry.”  I realized this was not good.  They sent me by ambulance to the medical center in Indianapolis to the neurology intensive care unit at St. Vincent’s Hospital.    The doctors told my wife that I could die if the tumor had a bleed.  I knew nothing of this.  They put me on massive doses of steroids for 3 days to get the swelling down before they did the surgery.  The surgery was rough; but I did fine.  At that time the doctors looked at my medicines and noticed that I was on Crestor, the statin drug for cholesterol.  They told me to discontinue the drug.  I did.
After sending me home from the hospital they put me on 100mg of prednisone for 2 –3 weeks and then reduced it to 50mg for an additional 3 weeks.  I actually felt better than I had before the surgery.  I told my wife it was easier to climb the stairs into the house from the den.
I was going to an endocrinologist because all of my hormones were messed up due to the tumor on the pituitary.  The endocrinologist told me to start taking the Crestor again since my cholesterol was elevated.  I told him the doctors at the medical center said to discontinue it and he said that dosage wouldn’t hurt me.
My muscle pain increased again.
To back track, I had coronary bypass surgery in 1999 at the age of 59.  The surgery went well.  My cardiologist was not pleased with my cholesterol and put me on Lipitor, a statin drug.  I took it for about a year and developed a lot of muscle pain in my legs, back and shoulders.  My CK enzyme was also elevated.  My Lipitor was stopped and I was put on Zocor.  The same thing happened.  Again the drug was continued after my CK level elevated and my pain returned.
I was placed on Baycol for a short time and again it was necessary to stop.  I was tried on some non-statin drugs with little success.
I don’t remember which statin drug I was taking at the time, but my CK level was checked annually.  On one of these checkups, my CK level was elevated and so was the CKMB.  The CKMB portion of CK is supposedly specific for heart damage.  I was placed in coronary care overnight.  My troponin was negative indicating that I did not have a heart attack.
The last statin drug I took was Crestor.  Again the pain came back worse than ever before.  By this time I was having difficulty swallowing, difficulty getting out of chairs and car, falling frequently, difficulty climbing stairs, and difficulty getting out of bed and up from a sitting position on the floor.
I was a clinical microbiologist at the local community hospital for 40 years.  All this happened while I was employed at the hospital.  One day my family physician saw me walking in the hall and I had what appeared to be foot drop.  I was walking along the wall and holding on to the rail.  He asked what was wrong with me.  I told him about my pain, symptoms, and elevated CK level.  By this time my CK was 1000.  He told me to get an aldolase blood test and if it were positive, I could have polymyositis.  The aldolase was elevated and he sent me to a rheumatologist in Indianapolis.
The rheumatologist ordered a batter of blood tests which included several antibody tests.  The tests all came back negative.  The rheumatologist said that since the antibody tests were negative and my CK level was “only 1000” he didn’t think it was polymyositis.  But he decided to do a muscle biopsy to be sure.
The muscle biopsy was done on my left thigh.  About 10 days later I received a call from the rheumatologist’s nurse.  She said, “Your muscle biopsy came back and you have polymyositis.  The doctor wants you to take 40mg of prednisone daily.  Where do you want the prescription called?”  I told her of my pharmacy and asked when I could see the doctor.  She said for me to wait.  Finally she came back on the phone and said he could see me in a few weeks.  When I did get to see him he showed me the report.  The diagnosis was “Polymyositis-severe”.  The rheumatologist said that the statin drugs were the trigger for my polymyositis.  The drugs didn’t cause the disease; but brought it to the surface.  I am not convinced that the drugs didn’t CAUSE my PM.
Foolishly I was happy.  I thought I could take some pills and cure this thing.  Wrong!  The rheumy said he would have me in remission in two years.  It has been four years and I am not in or close to remission.  But I have good days and hopes of making it to remission.
I have had flares and find that polymyositis is a rollercoaster.  I have reduced the prednisone down to 2mg/day.  My r’heumy put me on Imuran with increasing doses until I was taking 175mg/cay.  Then he added methotrexate.  Currently I am on 2mg prednisone, 50mg of Imuran, and 7.5mg of methotrexate.  I am doing better and still have dreams of total remission.  Yes I do still believe in Santa Clause and miracles.
I need a knee replacement but my orthopedic surgeon said he wouldn’t operate on me while on the higher doses of Imuran, methotrexate and prednisone.  Now that the doses are lower, it might be possible to have the surgery.  My rheumy said I could stop the drugs a week before the surgery.  He didn’t say how long I would have to wait to start them again.  The thought of having a flare while recuperating from a total knee replacement puts a little fear in me.  So I’m going to put it off as long as possible.
My tumor is back and affecting the pituitary; but not bad.  The neurosurgeon said I could have the regrowing tumor removed surgically, have radiation therapy on the tumor, or have annual MRI’s and visual field checks to see if the tumor is affecting the optic nerve again.  I chose the last option.
My friends on the support group websites have been a blessing to me.  I have learned more from them than from the doctors or publications.
Submitted by: Phil Bousley 23-10-09


10 responses to “Polymyositis

  1. Marlene

    February 8, 2014 at 12:36 am

    Hi Phil, Read your site ,very helpful to me. I was diagnosed with polymyositis in the last six months. Very devastating to me. I am a young 78 year old and very out going, until now. I am so tired and sob that I haven’t been doing ant thing.On prednisone 40mg per day and lots of side effects.
    I feel I never will get any better. Nothing to look forward to for old age. I hope all goes well for you your still young and active. thanks for the blog.

  2. Barbara

    April 23, 2014 at 4:59 am

    I too have polymyositis my immediate family husband, children, parents, granddaughters brothers sister and and are the only ones who really know and help me take care. I always pray and trust God to see me through

    • Roly

      April 24, 2014 at 11:57 am

      Take it one step at a time and keep praying and asking for guidance 🙂

  3. Frank Dickinson (@8352fbd)

    December 6, 2016 at 7:21 am

    I am a 64 year old male who was diagnosed with Polymyositis in 2004. The first year was rough but my rheumatologist found the right combination of predisone and methotrexate. At some point in the second year the prednisone was stopped and I settled in to a CPK level between 400 and 550. It was concluded that this was my “normal”. The CPK remained in that range for right around eleven years with occasional small adjustments to the methotrexate dosage. The CPK level began to creep up in late 2015 so I began taking Prednisone again. My last two or three CPK readings have been between 1250 and 1350. My proximal muscles are considerably weaker now than they were a year ago. It is very difficult climbing stairs.

    • Anonymous

      December 17, 2016 at 2:51 pm

      I have been diagnosed with Polymyositis since 2011. I am now 83. I can only take Prednisone, as the Methotrexate made me so sick feeling for 5 days out of 7. Imuron started damaging my kidneys after only one month. I am on 5 mg. Pred, and can’t seem to take it any lower without side effects. It’s been a difficult time….my thighs are very weak, as are my arms and hands. I no longer can handle stairs at all, or get up from a chair without pushing with my hands If the chair is too low I can’t get up without someone helping me. I can only walk slowly, and in the past year I have to use a walker….my balance and strength are poor. I have fallen a couple of times and can’t get up without help.. For the last year I have been having trouble swallowing, with food sticking in my throat half way down, my throat seems to go into a spasm, and the only way I can handle it is to throw up to get rid of the food. Meat or baked potatoes seem to be the biggest offenders. They’re too dense and heavy. Plus eating too fast. I have to chew well to break up the food before swallowing.

      I had a knee replacement in 2008 and a year later is when I began to notice I could no longer walk fast or to go up or down stairs. Finally I was sent to a Rheumatologist. After 8 vials of blood, many tests and a leg muscle biopsy I was told I had Polymyositis.

      Now I need another knee replacement and I am so afraid it will make the Myositis worse Have any of you had a 2nd replacement and how did it affect you ?? The Dr. said it will be fine. My Son said he is afraid I will never walk again if I have the surgery. My blood work says my markers are normal, but I still have all my symptoms. They will never go away…..muscles are too damaged..

      Have you experienced all these symptoms ??

  4. Shannon Hogan

    February 16, 2017 at 4:57 am

    I had Polymitositis in 2013 -2014. I spent lots of time in hospitals.& living in rehabs & with my kids. In July of 2014 I went back to my home. I began to work at building myself up by walking around in a swimming pool, then exerciseing in the pool. I did it every day & & I got much stronger. I stayed on prednisone & Cellcept , gradually reducing them until I went into remission. While I’ve never regained my strength completely I’ve been happy enough with where I’ve gotten. I think my story has not ended, it may return, but this year 2017 I’ll make it to 80, I’ve had these extra years with my children & grandchildren.

  5. Jessica

    February 21, 2017 at 5:53 pm

    My boyfriend has been struggling with PM and ILD for 8 years now. It took so long diagnose, his CPK got to 20,000. He’s been most favorably responsive to Medrol. He’s tried it with Methotrexate, CellCept, among other drugs with very negative side effects. As of the spring of 2016, his CPK level dropped to 38, and his lung function increased from 40% to 60%. We’ve observed the impact of diet and stress levels on his symptoms. He’s been maintaining CPK levels at 40 or so with just Medrol, but he seems to be getting weaker, especially in his hips, and experiencing more pain and shortness of breath lately. He canNOT tolerate the cold, or even a sudden mild drop body temp without going into a fit of shivers and inability to breathe – so I’m wondering if the cold winter is exacerbating his symptoms. He gets very depressed, discouraged – there’s no real rhyme or reason to his “bad days”…. although the disease does not appear to be actively attacking his muscles, he feels he is getting increasingly weak. Any feedback would be appreciated.

    • Anonymous

      February 21, 2017 at 6:26 pm

      i too have Polymyositis and have had it for almost 6 yrs. It is gradually making me weaker even tho all my inflammation numbers are normal. i have gone to physical therapy and exercise classes but all they do is make me have pain afterwards.. so mostly I have to do a lot of sitting to be comfortable. I now have to walk with a walker because I don’t trust my muscles to respond well.. The problem with just sitting is that you gain weight and that doesn’t help either. They said it never goes away once you have it. Your immune system and muscles have been permanently damaged. The only medicines I can take are Prednisone and Tylenol. All the rest give me too many side effects or damage my kidneys..

      It’s a bad disease that slows down your life immeasurably.

  6. Jessica

    February 21, 2017 at 6:51 pm

    I am so sorry to hear about your suffering! It sounds very similar to his situation…..same issue with the meds, too…he tries to do minimal exercise, stretching, etc, but has to be careful because of the interstitial lung disease….he just gets so frustrated on these bad days – it’s so sad….😔

  7. Deborah

    March 19, 2018 at 8:38 pm

    I was finally diagnosed with PM in 2013 after more than a year of trying to figure out what was wrong. I went through so many tests that were negative both my doctor and I were beginning to think I was crazy. Then finally she sent me to a neurology she knew of that was great at diagnosing and after a couple weeks and all the tests he said I had a classic case. Well, it was’t too classic to me, it’s been one horrific thing after another. At first the prednisone helped but it devestates the body along with the PM; all the while taking Imuran, which ended up not really helping that much. So in 2014 had my first bout of pneumonia. That was a short stay in the ICU and then home to recuperate for about 4 weeks, then I got on a new drug, Cellcept and finally have come off the steriod. But didn’t stay well, by 2016 another case of pneumonia and a hospital, ICU, rehab hospital stay for a month. Totally wiped out my core muscles and home with oxygen I came. So now still on oxygen at night and most of the day and have to have it when I go out or do anything where I exert myself. For the last year I have been having infusions of immungloblin which seems to be helping with the Cellcept also. I now can go 4 weeks at a time between infusions and haven’t been sick since I got out of the hospital in 2016. I was able to stop a sinus infection in time so that is huge. What some folks don’t realize when they look at a person and see we don’t look sick is that one mistake, one illness can do us in. Everytime I get sick, I have to head to the ER, simple things can be devestating for our health. I was unfortuanate in that I have a weak diaphragm and weak core muscles so my breathing is not good. I don’t get enough CO2 out which most ER’s wouldn’t know to treat me when I showed up in their ER. So now I wear dogtags everywhere stating polymyositis, CO2 issue along with the allergies. The disease is so rare, I’ve only heard of one other person in our area that has it and I’ve never met them. It’s a lonely, frustating disease. But I have learned to take the little victories, I have strong legs still, though stairs do me in. I have fairly strong arms as long as I don’t have to raise them above my shoulders. I can usually manage to live with the amount of pain I have. Some days are worse than others so I use Gabapentin and Tylenol. I’m afraid to go stronger because I may need stronger down the road. The hardest part has been readjusting to the life I have now from the one I had. I just don’t do “spur of the moment” anything any more. I have to plan around the oxygen and how tired I will be in relation to the thing that is going on. I can make a trip to the grocery store and maybe stop for gas. But not anything after that without a long rest. It’s all a trade off and takes a while to figure things out. Some things I have had to just let my husband take over I can’t do everything anymore. I’m figuring it out a little at a time. I do know some good people…the neurologist, rheumatologist, pulmonologist and infusion nurses along with my primary care doctor who take care of me. I spend a lot of time with them and it’s important to get good ones. The story will continue…


Let me know you were here... leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


My ramblings of a mad world we live in. And some other helpfull topics will be added from time to time.

Gingers, Poetry, Nonsense, Red Hair, Hope, Sausages

Unbagging the Cats

Myositis is a neuro muscular disorder

Get it. Write.

Your purpose in life is to find the purpose of life.

Lynette Noni

Embrace The Wonder


Poems and Ponderings by Jake

Desire Says ...


AllThingsBoys Blog

Humor in the Humorless


You - philosophical, thoughtful, witty. Me - still thinks fart jokes are funny. We should DEFINITELY get together!


I write, I read . . . and I eat chocolate - probably more than I should . . . the chocolate that is


Pondering lifes blessings one memory at a time

Menimèse Creare

Days of Yore & More


Crazy is relative. Just ask my relatives. And music!

renxkyoko's space

Just another site

Pushing on a Rope

Working my way through midlife, one laugh at a time

The Chatter Blog

Living: All Day Every Day: Then Chattering About It


A frustrated writer, who is her own worst enemy

Gobetween Flames site about my life and interests.

%d bloggers like this: